Smith Partnership is a leading law firm in the East Midlands. A forward thinking and progressive company employing over 200 staff throughout 6 offices.
An opportunity has become available for a Paralegal to join our Dispute Resolution Department at our Head Office in Derby.
Purpose & Objective of Job:
To carry out Fee Earning activities in respect of EC 261/2004 flight delay claims and general dispute resolution matters. To meet performance targets as defined and to carry out other duties as determined by the Partners.
- Running your own case load of litigated claims (predominately claims allocated to the Small Claims Track) to include drafting pleadings, complying with directions, negotiating settlement where appropriate, instructing Counsel/Agents, processing payments and invoicing.
- Reporting on matters to the client and other stakeholders.
- Ensuring financial targets are met within the team and on a personal level.
- Contributing to business development activities.
You will need to have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), time management experience, with the ability to work to tight deadlines. A knowledge of Civil Procedure Rules and EC 261/2004 would be an advantage, although training will be provided.
Duties and Tasks:
- To become fully trained in all aspects of EC 261/2004 flight delay claims representing the interests of airlines
- Assist with airline passenger personal injury claims representing the interests of airlines
- Drafting pleadings
- Instructing Counsel/Agents
- Taking clients instructions and thereafter advising and liaising with clients
- Opening and closing files
- General administration duties
- To work and contribute as part of a team
- Attend meetings with clients
- Small Claims Track Matters
- Word processing/typing
- General office procedures
- Civil Procedure Rules
- EC 261/2004
Skills And Personal Attributes Required:
- Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to use initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to cope with a heavy workload
- Ability to handle pressure and to work to deadlines
- Committed to delivery excellence
- Strong business approach
- Professional with clients
- Self motivated and committed
- Treats client and colleagues with courtesy and respect
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C or above
- Law Degree
This is an excellent opportunity to join a progressive East Midlands law firm and to work as part of a challenging and friendly team.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applications strictly via email enclosing a current CV and covering letter to (email@example.com)
No Agencies please.