Collapse Thomas Cook Group Plc And Connected Companies

This morning we awoke to the news that Thomas Cook had gone into compulsory liquidation following the collapse of last-ditch rescue talks.

Upon the Court granting an compulsory winding up order, Thomas Cook ceased to trade with immediate effect and all bookings, including flights and holidays, were cancelled.

I’m abroad: how does this affect me?

There are approximately 150,000 British nationals abroad who have booked flights or holidays with Thomas Cook. 

If you have booked a holiday or flight, which is protected by the Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (“ATOL”), the Civil Aviation Authority (“CAA”) will arrange for you to be repatriated back to the United Kingdom.  However, this will be the largest repatriation effort since the Second World War and will be hugely complex. 

Unfortunately, if you have booked a holiday or flight, which is not ATOL protected, you will be in a less favourable position.  At the present time, the Government has confirmed that it will fly back to the United Kingdom any British nationals that are due to return to the United Kingdom within the next 2 weeks (i.e. before 6 October 2019).  However, the position of those holiday makers who are due to fly back after 6 October 2019, is less certain and we would strongly advise that you check your position with your travel insurer.

My accommodation is requesting additional payment: what should I do?

If you are experiencing problems with your accommodation or it is requesting additional payment from you, you can contact the CAA on +44 1753 330 330 for advice provided you are ATOL protected.  You should not make payment to your accommodation provider unless instructed to do so by the CAA.

If you are not ATOL protected, you will be unable to claim your out of pocket expenses or additional overnight accommodation from ATOL and, therefore, you will need to seek reimbursement from your travel insurer, credit card provider (if paid by credit card) or bank.

I’m due to fly in the future: how does this affect me?

If you have booked a holiday, which is ATOL protected, you will be entitled to a refund or a replacement holiday through ATOL.

If your holiday or flight is not ATOL protected, you will need to claim through your travel insurer, credit card provider or bank.

Further information is available at:

If you require further legal advice on your position, please contact Bally Atwal or Ruth Ball on 0330 123 1229

Share this article