Support when you need it…
Facing the breakdown of a relationship is an emotional and often confusing time, and seeking legal advice can seem like a daunting prospect.
Thankfully, our specialist team, who deal with all aspects of family law, are on hand to offer unbiased, understanding legal advice and support.
Whatever family-related issue you are facing, from divorce to sorting out the financial aspects of a separation, making arrangements for the children or creating a pre- or post-nuptial agreement, our dedicated in-house team of family lawyers can help.
Sadly, relationships do break down and in such instances the welfare of any children is paramount.
When it comes to dealing with child care matters, we understand that emotions may be running high. Our experienced team of solicitors are able to anticipate this and, utilising their experience in a wide range of family law matters, are able to offer practical solutions to any child care issues.
When it comes to child care matters, communication is key. This is why we adopt a conciliatory approach to encourage both parties to find a resolution they can agree to that works in the best interests of their child.
For child care cases where the Local Authority are involved, we have a specialist Child Care Department.
The team are on hand to support clients through what can be a difficult time, explaining everything in our characteristic jargon-free, plain speaking way. In fact, we put client communication at the heart of everything we do, keeping clients informed in a way that is best for them whether that is face to face, via email or over the phone.
What’s more, because of our transparent practices, you will be informed of the costs throughout the case with no hidden surprises at the end. Whilst Legal Aid is limited, as an approved supplier of legal services we hold a contract with the Legal Aid Agency, enabling publicly funded work to be carried out subject to the circumstances and financial position of the client.
Family law is an expansive area which is why we offer a wide range of family law services and as such the team deal with matters including:
- Drafting of divorce proceedings, judicial separation and dissolution of civil partnerships
- Advising on all children issues including obtaining ‘Live with Orders’ (previously known as residence) and ‘Spend Time with Orders’ (previously known as contact) as well as obtaining ‘Specific Issue Orders’ and ‘Prohibited Steps Orders’
- Advising on child abduction issues under The Hague Convention
- Drafting pre-nuptial and post-nuptial contracts
- Drafting of separation deeds
- Advising cohabitees on aspects of their separation including proceedings under TOLATA
- Advising on a full range of financial aspects following marital breakdown, including child maintenance, spousal maintenance, pension sharing/offsetting, attachment orders and the division of capital assets including complex business structures/offshore trusts. We are able to liaise with other professionals both in-house and externally, such as accountants and IFAs
- Obtaining injunctions including non-molestation (personal protection) injunctions, ‘Occupation Orders’ (regulating who can live in a property) and ‘Freezing Orders’ (freezing/setting aside Injunctions relating to financial assets)
- Representing and advocating for clients in the courts at all levels
The team’s extensive experience and in-depth procedures relate to all family and relationship issues. As a specialist family law firm, the team provide clients with the very best advice, guiding them through what is often one of the most stressful periods of their lives.
Whether you have been separated for a while, are married or are cohabiting, have children to consider or complex finances to untangle, through our expertise in a wide range of family law matters, we can help.
Registered in England, we offer specialist family law services throughout the country. In addition, many members of our team have been recognised by The Law Society and Resolution as being experts in their field. In addition, we've also been recognised by the Legal 500, which describes us as:
One of the leading firms in the Midlands', Smith Partnership handles financial issues arising from relationship breakdowns. The healthcare sector involving care homes or dental or medical practices is a particular area of expertise, thanks to ‘very experienced’ and ‘highly regarded’ practice head Ruth Jones. ‘Extremely compelling advocate’ and head of childcare Muctar Johal ‘is highly respected in the field of child protection’.