Managing your most valuable asset
Employees are the most valuable asset of any business, and having the legal resources needed to manage them effectively can go a long way in ensuring long-term commercial success.
If you employ staff as part of your business, you will need specialist employment lawyers in your corner. At Smith Partnership, we offer a wide range of employment law services suited to businesses of all shapes and sizes – whether they be small independent businesses or major multinationals.
Our employment solicitors can help your business navigate the complex and ever-changing world of employment law. We use our legal know-how and friendly approach to build close relationships with our clients, acting as a trusted adviser to our many business partners. Working across a variety of business sectors, we’re proud to deliver a comprehensive legal service that offers crucial support to businesses across the UK.
Our solicitors each have significant experience in all areas of HR / employment law. We provide a partner-led service which is cost-effective, personal, clear and commercially minded. The range of services offered by our employment team includes:
- Employment law compliance: essential employment law / HR documentation, contracts of employment, post-termination restrictions, employee handbooks, GDPR compliance, subject access requests, employment law policies
- People management: performance management, absence management, redundancies and restructuring, disciplinaries, grievances, whistleblowing, workplace investigations, family-friendly leave, flexible working, employee relations, transfer of employees under TUPE, termination of employment
- Employment Tribunal representation: legal representation and advice in cases where employment-related disputes are to be settled before an employment tribunal
- Settlement Agreements: legal advice and representation relating to settlement agreements negotiated between you and an employee
- Employment law training: in-depth training on employment law in all its aspects
- HR consultancy service: help with recruitment, restructuring, pay and benefits, dispute resolution, disciplinary and grievance hearings, coaching, mentoring, training and development
- HRLAW24: an online HR document database that offers employers easy access to more than 300 guidance notes, HR contracts, policies, forms and letters
- Fixed cost services: including a health check which assess whether employment documents meet current UK employment law, restrictive covenants, settlement agreements and new document drafts, such as bespoke contracts, handbooks, senior executive/director service agreements, policies and procedures and consultancy agreements
If your business requires legal assistance in any of the areas set out above, don’t hesitate to contact our team today.
As part of our commitment to meeting the legal needs of your business, the team at Smith Partnership operates its very own HR document database – HRLAW24. Providing access to a range of HR contracts, policies and other types of useful documentation, the service plays an important role in making HR and employment law more accessible.
Provided on a subscription basis that costs just £365 plus VAT per annum, HRLAW24 represents a cost-effective way for businesses to address weaknesses in their current HR capabilities. In addition, the package also includes thirty minutes of expert advice from a member of our employment law team.
Many businesses use settlement agreements to settle workplace disputes with an employee, and the Smith Partnership team offers expert employment solicitors for businesses looking to get the most out of the settlement agreement process.
The decision to offer an employee a settlement agreement is often taken on the part of the employer with the purposes of avoiding proceedings through an employment tribunal. Building upon a track record of success in negotiating settlement agreements on behalf of employers, our team offers the legal guidance you need to ensure your business interests are fully protected throughout the process.
If you find yourself unable to resolve an employment dispute with an employee, the case may proceed to an employment tribunal. This may be the case if an employee makes a claim regarding unfair dismissal, discrimination or the unlawful deduction of wages.
Our team offers extensive experience acting on behalf of employers who are looking to defend their position before an employment tribunal. The preparation of these cases can be complex, so it’s important to enlist the help of a legal professional in building a robust defence.
We have partnered with a number of HR consultants in order to offer clients access to a wide range of HR services. This includes help and guidance with:
- Pay and benefits
- Dispute resolution
- Disciplinary and grievance hearings
- Coaching and mentoring
- Training and development
This service can be provided locally and nationally and every HR consultant is a member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
Prices start from as little as £70p/h and fixed daily and project rates are also available. Contact us for more information.
As one of the East Midlands’ leading law firms, Smith Partnership offers practical and straight-talking legal advice tailored to the needs of our clients. Our team understands that employment law issues can represent a significant obstacle in achieving your business goals, and our solicitors apply a wealth of experience to ensure challenges are addressed promptly and effectively.
Helping employers to address a diverse range of issues that occur in the workplace, our solicitors work to up-skill our clients’ internal teams. In the long-term, this approach provides businesses with the confidence they need to deal with whatever employment-related issues come their way.
Whether we act as an extension to an in-house team or advise you on an ad-hoc basis, our legal experts are on hand to offer exceptional and cost-effective support that helps your business operate to its full potential.
We offer employment law advice throughout our network of offices in Derby, Burton Upon Trent, Leicester, Swadlincote and Stoke-on-Trent, as well as advising clients on a remote basis. Furthermore, we offer legal assistance based on hourly rates, fixed fees or as part of our innovative bulk-purchase scheme.